Career development and internal mobility are critical enablers of an organization’s talent strategy. Here are nine resources that address these topics from different angles.
- What Outperformers Do Differently to Tap Internal Talent | MIT Sloan Management Review | Outlines 4 talent practices organizations use to increase the utilization of lateral job moves as a source of career development.
- Do Internal Mobility Policies and Guidelines Enable or Detract From Career Development? | Brian Heger | I share that while internal mobility policies and guidelines are essential, they can sometimes impede internal mobility by overly regulating the “rules and conditions” under which these moves occur.
- Activating the Internal Talent Marketplace | Deloitte Insights | Describes how firms can accelerate the delivery of their internal talent marketplace through an iterative design.
- Using Experience Maps to Accelerate Development | The Talent Strategy Group | Covers how organizations can accelerate employees’ job and career development through experiences.
- Book: The Inside Gig: How Sharing Untapped Talent Across Boundaries Unleashes Organizational Capacity | Edie Goldberg and Kelley Steven-Waiss share in their book six core principles for implementing an internal talent marketplace.
- What Stops Employees from Applying for Internal Roles | HBR | Addresses three main barriers that discourage employees from applying internally and offers suggestions for how firms can enable internal mobility.
- 5 Indicators of Manager Talent Hoarding | Brian Heger | I share a few indicators that might provide one measure of managers’ tendency to hoard internal talent on their teams.
- Internal Talent Mobility Programs Can Advance Gender Equity. Do Yours? | BCG | Summarizes how internal mobility programs—specifically internal talent marketplaces—can help address gender inequities by democratizing access to opportunities.
- Let Your Top Performers Move Around the Company | HBR | i4cp | Provides four ways in which firms can create a culture that encourages internal mobility and reduces talent hoarding.